[MPlayer-dev-eng] Wishlist

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Sep 8 01:55:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 12:03:10AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,

> > > well, that's only needed for SDL, as it's compiled as a windows-style lib, but
> > > mplayer is compiled as a unix-style program, so the flags given by sdl-config
> > > screw thing up. However winsdl is pretty buggy so I don't recommend it
> > > anyways.
> >
> > Hmm, would a module for -vo gdi and/or -vo directx be accepted into
> > mplayer?
> yes
>
> > Audio shouldn't be an issue since cygwin's /dev/dsp emulation
> > seems to work. I agree that windows SDL is quite broken...in fact,
>
> imho if the win32 port is in process - it must be a good one, a native port
> maybe using mingw or even msvc or icc. it should have ported win32 timer,
> dvd/vcd/net interface, getch2, ao and vo modules, and native support for
> win32 codecs. then it has some sense...
>
> the cygwin thing is a big messy slow hack, and has no any sense imho

Well when the other windows players all lose audio sync, fail to play
incomplete files, or crash whenever you seek, even a very stripped
down mplayer is nice for windows users! :)

I agree cygwin isn't technically optimal, but again it's still
probably faster than the other windows movie players, and IMHO speed
isn't as much of an issue on windows since people who use it seem to
upgrade every few months to play new games or so the new version of
msoffice doesn't slow to a crawl, etc. :)

Rich