[MPlayer-dev-eng] ANNOUNCE: 0.90-pre7 released - UPGRADE!

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Sep 5 04:39:58 CEST 2002

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:41:27AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> - new video filters: soft eq (brightness), halfpack (deinterlacer), film noise

-vop halfpack isn't exactly a deinterlacer, although i suppose it
could serve that purpose too. The main point is to downscale
vertically by 1/2 without throwing away chroma for output to
low-resolution displays. For example, the use I wrote it for is
sending output to a TV screen using mga_vid and a G200 (G200's BES
doesn't support interlaced modes so TV has to be treated as 640x240).
If the BES were good, it could do the downscaling instead of using
-vop halfpack, but it just drops lines when scaling down. :(

Another application of halfpack could be shrinking down huge movies
for display in a window or on a low-res monitor when using a BES that
can't scale down vertically, or that scales down verticically with
really bad quality. (AFAIK, the G200 does an ok job scaling up or down
horizontally, which makes sense because horizontal is a lot easier
from a hardware implementation perspective.)

Rich