[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng digest, Vol 1 #1242 - 16 msgs

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sun Sep 1 11:33:02 CEST 2002

> > -if(stream_dump_type==5){
> > +if(stream_dump_type==5 && stream->fd >= 0){
> >     unsigned char buf[4096];
>
>i've reversed this change and teh one for -cache too

I notice from the latest CVS that you've reinstated these tests, by
rejecting streams without fds only if their type is
"STREAMTYPE_STREAM".  For RTP sessions, this does the right thing:
attempting to use the "-cache" or "-dumpstream" options on such streams
will fail (without crashing).

>- route your raw steram theough our stream layer --> preferred way but maybe
>   hard/impossible to implement with live.com lib design

What would make this hard/impossible is not the LIVE.COM design, but the
nature of RTP itself.  In RTP sessions, audio and video (and any other
media) are not multiplexed together, but instead are sent in separate
packet streams.  (The reason for this is flexibility - for example, this
makes it possible for a client to receive only audio (e.g., if he has a
low-bandwidth connection), and even makes it possible for audio and video
to come from separate sources.)  So, it would not make sense to try to
multiplex together these separate audio and video packet sequences into a
single combined 'stream' (only to have mplayer's audio and video demuxers
then split them apart again for playing).

Note, BTW, that although "-dumpstream" cannot be used on a RTP session,
"-dumpaudio" and "-dumpvideo" work OK.

         Ross.