[MPlayer-dev-eng] *BSD documentation

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Oct 27 02:27:02 CEST 2002

Hi!

I have joined the FreeBSD and OpenBSD documentation in my local tree,
please correct me, if I said something wrong, I don't have any BSD.
This is what it looks like:

6.2 *BSD

Mplayer runs on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, BSD/OS and Darwin. In FreeBSD
and OpenBSD, MPlayer is available as a port. To build the package
yourself you will need GNU make (gmake - native BSD make will not work)
and a recent version of binutils.

If MPlayer complains about not finding /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd, create an
appropiate symbolic link:
ln -s /dev/(your_cdrom_device) /dev/cdrom.

To use Win32 DLLs with MPlayer you will need to re-compile the kernel
with "option USER_LDT" (unless you run FreeBSD -CURRENT, where this is
the default).
6.2.1 FreeBSD

If your CPU has SSE, recompile your kernel with "options CPU_ENABLE_SSE"
to use it (FreeBSD-STABLE or kernel patches required).

There's no DVD support for FreeBSD yet.
6.2.2 OpenBSD

Due to limitations in different versions of gas (relocation vs MMX), you
will need to compile in two steps: First make sure that the non-native
as is first in your $PATH and do a gmake -k, then make sure that the
native version is used and do gmake.

If this is out of date, please provide new information. Here's the original
for easy reference:

6.2 FreeBSD

To build the package you will need GNU make (gmake,
/usr/ports/devel/gmake), native BSD make will not work.

To run MPlayer you will need to re-compile the kernel with "options
USER_LDT" (unless you are running -CURRENT, where this is default). If
you have a CPU with SSE also use "options CPU_ENABLE_SSE" to use it
(FreeBSD-STABLE required, or use kernel patches).

If MPlayer complains about "CD-ROM Device '/dev/cdrom' not found!" make
a symbolic link: ln -s /dev/(your_cdrom_device) /dev/cdrom

There's no DVD support for FreeBSD yet.

6.7 OpenBSD

To build the package you will need GNU make (gmake,
/usr/ports/devel/gmake), native BSD make will not work, and a recent
binutils (including objcopy).

Due to limitations in different versions of gas (relocation vs mmx),
you'll need to compile in two steps: First make sure that the non-native
as is first in PATH and do a 'gmake -k', then make sure that the native
version is used and do 'gmake'.

To use Win32 DLLs with MPlayer you will need to re-compile the kernel
with "option USER_LDT".

If MPlayer complains about not finding '/dev/cdrom' or '/dev/dvd' make a
symbolic link, e.g. ln -s /dev/rcd0c /dev/dvd

The not so hardcore hackers amongst us might want to use the ports
version (/usr/ports/x11/mplayer).

Thanks

Diego