[MPlayer-dev-eng] Bug in GSM audio playing?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Oct 9 18:00:18 CEST 2002

Could someone who's familiar with mplayer's GSM codec implementation, and
who's built mplayer with LIVE.COM Streaming Media support
<http://www.live.com/mplayer/>, please try running the following, which
plays a GSM audio stream:

mplayer -rtsp-stream-over-tcp
rtsp://darwin.horizonlive.com/finlayson/sample-gsm-8000.mov

For me, the audio stream starts playing, but is completely garbled.

FYI, I am setting up the "WAVEFORMATEX" structure as follows:
wf->wFormatTag = sh_audio->format = 0x31;
wf->nChannels = 1;
wf->nAvgBytesPerSec = 1650;
wf->nBlockAlign = 33;
wf->wBitsPerSample = 16;
wf->cbSize = 0;

Is this correct?  If so, there seems to be a bug in the GSM codec, or the
other mplayer code that uses it.

FYI, the same GSM audio stream is available, raw as
<http://www.live.com/mplayer/sample-gsm-8000.gsm>, or alternatively, as a
QuickTime movie, <http://www.live.com/mplayer/sample-gsm-8000.mov>

         Ross.