[MPlayer-dev-eng] Known bugs section obsolete?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Oct 7 03:41:42 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Please have a look at the known bugs section and tell me which if any of
> these problems are still present.  I am tempted to rip this section out
> since it is largely outdated and unmaintained.  This is probably not the
> best solution.  Any ideas for a better way to track known problems and
> workarounds?  Some of this might go in the FAQ, some might go to
> sound.html or video.html, but maybe a separate problem section is
> better.  Opinions?
Good idea, i wrote it >1 years ago and it's realy outdated, but still has
some good points shoudl be transformed to FAQ entries.

> Special system/CPU-specific bugs/problems:
>
>     * SIGILL (signal 4) on P3 using 2.2.x kernels:
>       Problem: kernel 2.2.x doesn't have proper (working) SSE support
>       Solution: upgrade kernel to 2.4.x
>       Workaround: ./configure --disable-sse
outdated, afaik it's detected by ./configure

>     * General SIGILL (signal 4):
>       Problem: you compiled and run mplayer in different machines (for example compiled on P3 and running on Celeron)
>       Solution: compile MPlayer on the same machine where you will use it!
>       Workaround: ./configure --disable-sse etc. options
still true, also:  Workaround 2: --enable-runtime-cpudetection

>     * "Internal buffer inconsistency" during MEncoder run:
>       Problem: known problem when lame < 3.90 was compiled with gcc 2.96 or 3.x.
>       Solution: use lame >=3.90.
>       Workaround: compile lame with gcc 2.95.x and remove any already installed lame packages, they may have been compiled with gcc 2.96.
fixed in newer libmp3lame versions, but true for old (>=half year)

>     * Messed up MP2/MP3 sound on PPC:
>       Problem: known GCC miscompilation bug on PPC platforms, no fix yet.
>       Workaround: use FFmpeg's (slow) MP1/MP2/MP3 decoder (-ac ffmpeg)
afaik still true
afair michael had a patch fixing it but it didn't get applied?

>     * sig11 in libmpeg2, when scaling+encoding:
>       Problem: known GCC 2.95.2 MMX bug, upgrade to 2.95.3.
dunno

> Various A-V sync and other audio problems:
> General audio delay or jerky sound (exists with all or many files):
>
>     * most common: buggy audio driver! - try to use different drivers, try ALSA 0.9 OSS emulation with -ao oss, also try -ao sdl, sometimes it helps. If your file plays fine with -nosound, then you can be sure it's sound card (driver) problem.
workaround: -autosync 30

>     * audio buffer problems (buffer size badly detected)
>       Workaround: mplayer -abs option
this is -ao oss only!

>     * samplerate problems - maybe your card doesn't support the samplerate used in your files - try the resampling plugin (-aop)
libaf should detect and handle it from yesterday :)

>     * slow machine (CPU or VGA)
>       try with -vo null, if it plays well, then you have slow VGA card/driver
>       Workaround: buy a faster card or read this documentation about how to speed up
>       Also try -framedrop
true

> Audio delay/de-sync specific to one or a few files:
>
>     * bad file
>       Workaround:
>           o -ni or -nobps option (for non-interleaved or bad files)
AVI only

>             and/or
>           o -mc 0 (required for files with badly interleaved VBR audio)
>             and/or
>           o -delay option or +/- keys at runtime to adjust delay
>       If none of these help, please upload the file, we'll check (and fix).
>     * your sound card doesn't support 48kHz playback
>       Workaround: buy a better sound card... or try to decrease fps by 10% (use -fps 27 for a 30fps movie) or use the resampler plugin
>     * slow machine
>       (if A-V is not around 0, and the last number in the status line increasing)
>       Workaround: -framedrop
>
> No sound at all:
>
>     * your file uses an unsupported audio codec
>       Workaround: read the documentation and help us adding support for it
pointer to codecs.html needed
also handle the case when user didn't enabled win32/real/etc codecs support

> No picture at all (just plain grey/green window):
>
>     * your file uses an unsupported video codec
>       Workaround: read the documentation and help us adding support for it
same as above for audio

>     * auto-selected codec can't decode the file, try to select another using -vc or -vfm options
true

>     * you try to play DivX 3.x file with OpenDivX decoder or XviD (-vc odivx) - install Divx4Linux and recompile player
true

> Video-out problems:
>
> First note: options -fs -vm and -zoom are just recommendations, not (yet) supported by all drivers. So it isn't a bug if it doesn't work. Only a few driver supports scaling/zooming, don't expect this from x11 or dga.
>
> OSD/sub flickering:
> - x11 driver: sorry, it can't be fixed now
> - xv driver: use -double option
>
> Green image using mga_vid (-vo mga / -vo xmga):
> - mga_vid misdetected your card's RAM amount, reload it using mga_ram_size option

all these are uptodate.
so it seems someone (Gabu?) updated it over the time.
so, imho don't remove/split it.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team