[MPlayer-dev-eng] Getting the total # of frames

Holger Lamm holger at e-gitt.net
Sun Oct 6 17:45:27 CEST 2002

Hi,

I just started a project for a GUI over the mencoder,
inspired by the fantastic (for being a Win**** program)
frontend "gordian knot". AFAIK, there is no such project
out there yet.
(Language: Perl/Gtk)

To get info about the input file, I try to interpret the
output of mplayer/mencoder.

Apart from the problem of interpreting a program's output
- which might be different from release to release and
DOES vary for some different input formats -, I actually
struggle on the question:

- How can I get the total number of frames of the video
  stream?

I try to be as flexible as possible and read whatever
mplayer supports, but maybe I'd better get the information
from AVI, MPEG and VOB containers if they are easy to read.
Someone has good documentation?

Help appreciated,

Holger

--
"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as
children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and