[MPlayer-dev-eng] how could i contribute?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Oct 4 21:17:46 CEST 2002

Hi,

>      I am a s/w engineer from India and I have experience in C++ (in VC++
> actually), and
> a bit of Java too (i am slightly better off than
actually mplayer is pure C code and most of us don't like c++

> a novice), have developed a decoder for RM
> files (using the RealSystem SDK, I could come
> up with a threading model that could Play
> any number of RM files at a time). I work for
> the Video part in Tektronix India and i know
> a bit of video formats too...
>     I like to learn and would love to contribute
> to this group. I also would like to know how could
> i start contributing to the group...

we're over the realmedia support, but maybe you could help work on
the quicktime plugin support.
they've released a mostly (imho) useless SDK too.
the goals:
1. having a working linux opensource app to load and use a QT codec
plugin, for example to decode an SVQ3 video frame.
all this using wine-lib for first run.
imho it shouldn't be hard, even porting such exampel app from windows, if
any exists. note taht i've tried to implement this but after lot of fails (i
didn't even understood teh 2/3 of th qt struct fields) i gave it up.
2. fixing libloader.a to successfully load the QT DLLs, porting the app
(see 1.) to use libloader instead of wine-lib.
3. implementing vd_qt.c and ad_qt.c :)

another nice task for you, if you know vc++ as you said:
writting/fixing the virtualdub plugin interface for linux.
vdub plugins are written in vc++ and use some dynamic inherited function
pointers, so it needs deep knowledge of vc++ to be able to write a correct
linux wrapper. Alex can help you, he worked on this task earlier.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team