[MPlayer-dev-eng] CVS alternatives

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Oct 1 02:08:08 CEST 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 01:07:02AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> CVS sucks^H^H^H^H^Hhas some unwanted limitations, it's fact.

Speaking of cvs problems, it seems that lots of files in mplayer CVS
somehow got set mode 444 instead of 644, or at least my cvs client
keeps resetting that brain damaged mode when updating. It didn't
happen before, so the problem seems to be something new. Perhaps
something is just broken on my end.

> - work offline (you can do independent commits without having net
>   access to the repository) - probably can be workarounded for CVS,
>   either using local copy with branch, or i remember seeing such cvs
>   wrapper somewhere at fm.

Why is this important or useful?

> - better, intelligent merging. cvs's auto-merge is sometimes worse
>   than nothing, it fails on trivial changes or its merge results
>   duplicated uncompilable code...

IMO despite their limitations, it's best to work with changes that can
be expressed in terms of diffs.

> - file renaming/moving/cloning etc... you know. - yes i know there is
>   meta-cvs which has own file database over teh cvs repository to
>   workaround handle this, but it's messy hack.

I agree this is a pain.

> meta-cvs and other cvs wrappers/extensions - dunno, they are all hacks.

My vote is for something like this. Yes it sort of sucks, but it
doesn't require everyone who wants to work on (or even use, since
using latest cvs version of mplayer is basically required) mplayer to
install and use some strange nonstandard tools. I just don't think the
limitations of CVS justify the inconvenience of switching to something
else.

Rich