[MPlayer-dev-eng] [BUG] (fonts && downloadable files && documentation) || Gui

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 29 18:28:16 CET 2002

On Saturday 05 October 2002 18:51, Fabian Franz wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Not a serious bug, but a nerving one ...
>
> The MPlayer-Docu and the Readme of the
> mp-arial-iso-8859-1.zip-fonts-package say:
>
>     mkdir ~/.mplayer/font
>     cd ~/.mplayer/font
>     unzip mp-arial-iso-8859-1.zip
>     ln -s ~/.mplayer/font/arial-24 font
>
> or
>
> Usage:
> select font size and copy the content of the directory to ~/.mplayer/font/
> example: cp arial-18/* ~/.mplayer/font/
>
> The first one is even wrong, because there is a directory in the .zip-file
> called iso-8859-1 (before arial-24, so dead symlink) ...
>
> No one of them seems to work, because the gui always gives the error:
>
> font: can't open file: /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
>
> It doesn't seem to care about a local (home-dir) font-file ...
>
> I wonder if this is a bug in the gui or in the config-code ...
>
> I hope this helps,

You are right the descriptions are wrong, as mplayer looks for fonts in
DATADIR/font/ (/usr/local/share/mplayer/font/) and HOME/.mplayer/font/
so it needs to be unziped inside DATADIR or HOME/.mplayer and then create a
symlink eg ln -s path/to/my/font-folder font and of course remove any
existing font dir prior to that.

--
Best Regards,
        Atmos