license, was Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Sorry, but can I add licence lines in sources?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Nov 24 11:39:39 CET 2002

Hi,

>     libavcodec/jfdctint.c
>       same license as libjpeg62 (which should be shipped with the
>       code, and it is not)
>     libavcodec/armv4l/jrevdct_arm.S
>       generic "no liability/as is" license
>     libavcodec/fdctref.c
>       generic "no liability/as is" license,
>       Copyright (C) 1996, MPEG Software Simulation Group. All Rights
>       Reserved.
>       [PROBLEM FIXED: we delete the file from tarball for Debian]

dunno, but they belong to the ffmpeg project, they aren't in mplayer cvs.
ask ffmpeg authors (Michael, Fabrice) - ffmpeg is said GPL/LGPL.

>     libvo/vo_pgm.c
>     libvo/vo_md5.c
>       probably the same as libavcodec/fdctref.c (same copyright MPEG...)
they came from mpeg2dec which is afaik GPL

>     libvo/vo_sdl.c
>       undecided, but it seems that it was GPL in the past
it was (re)written by Atmos, for mplayer

>     libmpcodecs/native/xa_gsm.c
>       generic "no liability/as is" license,
it's from xanim, Mark Podlipec (xanim author) gave the right for us to
distribute it under gpl. Gabucino can lookup teh mail if you want

>     libdha/pci.c
>     libdha/sysdep/libdha_os2.c
>       generic "no liability/as is" license (from XConsortium code base?)
dunno
it was imported by Nick

>     mp3lib/*
>       refers to nonexistent README; moreover the code seems to be
>       taken  from mpglib in mpg123, which       is not  GPL.
yes it's from mpg123's mpglib, which is LGPL since a while (and was GPL before)

>     libmpdemux/genres.h
>       Copyright (C) 2001  Jason Carter
>       refers to an unavailable LICENSE; it only contains the list of genres
dunno

>     2) In the following files there is an explicit copyright statement, but no
>     license: for some files I could track down a GPL or LGPL origin:
>
>     libvo/vo_mpegpes.c
>       same as ffmpeg
i wrote it, reusing few lines/ideas from the linuxtv project, which is GPL

>     libvo/vo_dxr3.c
>       was part of ffmpeg, see
>       http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-cvslog/2001-November/003377.html
afaik it's based on vo_mpegpes

>     drivers/video/radeonfb.c
>       framebuffer driver for ATI Radeon chipset video boards,
>       probably from linux kernel code;  drivers/radeon/radeon_vid.c is GPL
it was written by Nick, based on mga_vid.c and some kernel sources

>     linux/lrmi.c
>      seems to be taken from  http://cvs.debian.org/lrmi/
dunno
i've seen the lrmi code in SVGAlib src tree years ago

>     loader/*.c
>     loader/module.c
>     loader/pe_image.c
>     loader/pe_resource.c
>     loader/elfdll.c
>     loader/wine/*
>     loader/qtx/debug/module.c
>       from wine ?
from avifile.
the original avifile code comes from wine & wabi, ~3 years ago
since that most of the code has been changed/rewritten by avifile & mplayer
authors

>    3) This I think we may consider GPL, since they are part of the mplayer
>      code, and were written by mplayer's authors
>
>     libvo/vo_dga.c
it's by Acki, for mplayer

>     loader/dshow/DS_AudioDecoder.c
it was written by Eugene Kuznetsov for avifile, later converted c++->c by
Miguel F. (xine project). both are GPL.

>     4) these are the files remaining:
>
>     TOOLS/benchmark-gab/README
>       Author: gabucino
>       License: for exclusive usage with MPlayer (wonder;)
>     [I  understand that this is intended as a pun; but the
>      phrase "for exclusive usage" is against the Debian Freesoftware
>      guideline; so I wish that gabucino may not mind changing the
>      License statement]

as it runs mplayer with various parameters, it has no sense to use without
mplayer. it's just a test case for mplayer development.

>     TOOLS/mpfc/mpfc-kr.c
>     TOOLS/mpfc/mpfc-ce.c
>       Author: Sunjin Yang <lethean at realtime.ssu.ac.kr>
>       just says that it was created for mplayer
yes it was written for us
btw it's obsolete code, we're using subfont-c nowdays

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team