license, was Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Sorry, but can I add licence lines in sources?

Andrea Mennucc debdev at Tonelli.sns.it
Sun Nov 24 03:03:48 CET 2002

hi

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 10:25:40PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
> i hope debian will ever treat multimedia software like other software, i mean
> if they would reject software because of missing copyright headers in a few
> files than there would be practically nothing left in debian, even the kernel
> has plenty of files with no copyright, just grep it if u dont belive it

as I said in other e-mail, you are right: even the kernel
 has plenty of files with no copyright

but there  is a misunderstanding here

the reason why Debian ftp-installer rejected mplayer is that: I
have read all the files in mplayer, and AFAICT there are
files in mplayer which have a license that is not GPL: see list at bottom

> > instea: what about the code
> > libavcodec/fdctref.c
> >  that is copyrighted
> > /* Copyright (C) 1996, MPEG Software Simulation Group. All Rights Reserved.
> > */
> >
> > this does not seem to GPL. Where does this code come from?
> MPEG Software Simulation Group perhaps ;)
>
> its not compiled or linked, u can delete it from ur local tree if u like, its
> just used for the dct-test program which is not compiled by default and it
> could be that this file is GPL compatible anyway, i dunno, IANAL & i didnt
> add that one to CVS

so this is good, we can get rid of this file.

so please if you developers have time, tell me how we can fix things
with these other files (note that: files in point 1 are the most
important to be fixed; files in point 2 3 may be probably left as they
are, I just need someone to confirm me on their GPL origin;
 for the files in 4, read below)

 ----- here is the list of all the files in mplayer that do not have
 an explicit GPL or LGPL statement

    1) The following files have a license:

    libavcodec/jfdctint.c
      same license as libjpeg62 (which should be shipped with the
      code, and it is not)
    libavcodec/armv4l/jrevdct_arm.S
      generic "no liability/as is" license
    libavcodec/fdctref.c
      generic "no liability/as is" license,
      Copyright (C) 1996, MPEG Software Simulation Group. All Rights
      Reserved.
      [PROBLEM FIXED: we delete the file from tarball for Debian]
    libvo/vo_pgm.c
    libvo/vo_md5.c
      probably the same as libavcodec/fdctref.c (same copyright MPEG...)
    libvo/vo_sdl.c
      undecided, but it seems that it was GPL in the past
    libmpcodecs/native/xa_gsm.c
      generic "no liability/as is" license,
    libdha/pci.c
    libdha/sysdep/libdha_os2.c
      generic "no liability/as is" license (from XConsortium code base?)

    mp3lib/*
      refers to nonexistent README; moreover the code seems to be
      taken  from mpglib in mpg123, which       is not  GPL.

    libmpdemux/genres.h
      Copyright (C) 2001  Jason Carter
      refers to an unavailable LICENSE; it only contains the list of genres

    2) In the following files there is an explicit copyright statement, but no
    license: for some files I could track down a GPL or LGPL origin:

    libvo/vo_mpegpes.c
      same as ffmpeg
    libvo/vo_dxr3.c
      was part of ffmpeg, see
      http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-cvslog/2001-November/003377.html

    drivers/video/radeonfb.c
      framebuffer driver for ATI Radeon chipset video boards,
      probably from linux kernel code;  drivers/radeon/radeon_vid.c is GPL
    linux/lrmi.c
     seems to be taken from  http://cvs.debian.org/lrmi/

    loader/*.c
    loader/module.c
    loader/pe_image.c
    loader/pe_resource.c
    loader/elfdll.c
    loader/wine/*
    loader/qtx/debug/module.c
      from wine ?

   3) This I think we may consider GPL, since they are part of the mplayer
     code, and were written by mplayer's authors

    libvo/vo_dga.c
    loader/dshow/DS_AudioDecoder.c

    4) these are the files remaining:

    TOOLS/benchmark-gab/README
      Author: gabucino
      License: for exclusive usage with MPlayer (wonder;)
    [I  understand that this is intended as a pun; but the
     phrase "for exclusive usage" is against the Debian Freesoftware
     guideline; so I wish that gabucino may not mind changing the
     License statement]
    TOOLS/mpfc/mpfc-kr.c
    TOOLS/mpfc/mpfc-ce.c
      Author: Sunjin Yang <lethean at realtime.ssu.ac.kr>
      just says that it was created for mplayer

a.

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "E' un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Tonino Carotone)