[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sorry, but can I add licence lines in sources?

Andrea Mennucc debdev at Tonelli.sns.it
Sun Nov 24 02:39:41 CET 2002

hi

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 05:34:23PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 10:25:40PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Saturday 23 November 2002 21:36, Andrea Mennucc wrote:
> > > hi Dariusz and all other mplayer developers
> > >
> > > I see  that Dariusz is asking to mplayer developers to add the GPL
> > > copyright line to source files :
> > >  I hope that we will be able to put mplayer in Debian soon!
> > i hope debian will ever treat multimedia software like other software, i mean
> > if they would reject software because of missing copyright headers in a few
> > files than there would be practically nothing left in debian, even the kernel
> > has plenty of files with no copyright, just grep it if u dont belive it
>
> Agree, adding 1k to each file to include the GPL info is redundant and
> unnecessary. All the code included in the tarball that gets compile is
> GPL or GPL-compatible and that should be a plenty for anyone making
> packages.

GPL says

-------------
  To do so, attach the following notices to the program.  It is safest
to attach them to the start of each source file to most effectively
convey the exclusion of warranty; and each file should have at least
the "copyright" line and a pointer to where the full notice is found.

    <one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it
    does.>
    Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>

    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or    modify

but I agree that most often you do not find the copyright line in GPL
each file of code, as for example in linux kernel source code

a.

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "E' un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Tonino Carotone)