[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer on IRIX build

mplayer.development at graphicscave.com mplayer.development at graphicscave.com
Wed Nov 13 10:41:08 CET 2002

Hi,

In the documentation I found that there was a request for a bit more info
about getting MPlayer to work on IRIX.
I tried it on my SGI o2 and after a little bit of tweaking, it works.
The procedure I used:

gunzip MPlayer-0.90pre10.tar.gz
tar xvf MPlayer-0.90pre10.tar
cd MPlayer-0.90pre10
(logically :)

Then I had to edit the config.mak file and change the "RANLIB = ranlib" line
in "RANLIB = ar -r" since IRIX doesn't have ranlib obviously.

cp etc/codecs.conf .
cp DOCS/mplayer.1 .

Then I edited the Makefile and modified these lines:

$(INSTALL) -c -m DOCS/mplayer.1 $(MANDIR)/man1/mplayer.1
changed to
$(INSTALL) -m mplayer.1 $(MANDIR)/man1/

$(INSTALL) -c -m etc/codecs.conf $(CONFDIR)/codecs.conf
changed to
$(INSTALL) -m codecs.conf $(CONFDIR)/

This should be done because the "install" program on IRIX gives a weird "file
not found" error when specifying a destination file instead of a destination
dir. (Well, no, obviously, you didn't install the file yet, so ofcourse it
isn't there yet! Duh.)
And when doing the install with specifying the destination dir, it will also
create the subdirs where the original file is located in (so there would be a
$(MANDIR)/man1/DOCS/mplayer.1 instead of the required
$(MANDIR)/man1/mplayer.1)

I used gmake and gcc from the SGI Freeware November 2002 cd-set (downloadable
at http://freeware.sgi.com) to compile this all.

Things to note about mplayer on IRIX:
- Video output on x11 seems to be not supported. The error "RGB32 not
supported on big-endian systems, please contact the developers. FATAL: Cannot
initialize video driver!" is shown
- Only video outputs on the screen that are left then are gl and gl2 (OpenGL
outputs) which are extremely slow.
- Audio output using "-ao sgi": everything initialises fine. "Start
playing..." appears. Then immediately *crash* with error: "MPlayer
interrupted by signal 11 in module: decode_audio. (the other available -ao
option "mpegpes" gives error "couldn't open/init audio device -> no sound"

Overall not realy that useful yet, but hey, atleast it compiled :-)))

Maybe worth to put the hints on building it, in the documentation.

Glad to be of service,

Steffen Boelaars, The Netherlands

P.S.: If anyone thinks of doing something about errors noted in this mail,
and needs more information. I can always be contacted on
mplayer.development at graphicscave.com