[MPlayer-dev-eng] Happy Birthday MPlayer!

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Nov 13 01:44:41 CET 2002

Arpi writes:
 > You probably don't know, but the first "release" (better calling it
 > snapshot preview of some hacks :)) of MPlayer was exactly 2 years ago,
 > at 2000 nov 11:
 >
 > http://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/OLD_stuff/releases/MPlayer-0.01.tar.gz
 > (worth to check it - several lines of that code is still there in cvs :))
 >
 > I want to say a big THANK YOU to all you developers now, for your great
 > work on this project, keep it up in the future too!

Congratulations and thank you from me, too.  It was so incredibly nice
to be able to ditch Windows for good.  And all this in just two
years...

 > Especially to Michael Niedermayer, who made libavcodec the best & fastest
 > encoding and decoding library all around the world :) and coded the thing
 > i had in my nightmares: optimized colorspace conversion & scaling code.
 > Not talking about the others, postprocessing filters, and so on...
 > If there would be a 'mplayer developer of the year' contest, he would win
 > it for sure!

He never ceases to amaze me, but so do all of you guys on this
project!

 > Gabucino, Diego, Jonas and the others (including the translators!)
 > for their work on the documentation.  Hey, we started with a 2490 bytes
 > long README in v0.05 and now we have 2226kB DOCS/ :)
 > (i wish it will be up-to-date one day :))

We all dream of that day :)  And I dream of the day when I have it all
spellchecked ;)

 > Alex, for all his random hackings, and of course the Ultimate MJPEG codec :)
 > (any news on loader vs. quicktime?)
 >
 > And of course Eugene Kuznetsov, Florian Schneider and Sascha Sommer, their
 > work on the ms directshow, realmedia and quicktime DLL codec support turned
 > MPlayer to the first (and only) linux player able to play EVERYTHING!

Truly amazing ...

 > The people porting mplayer to everything, even to washing mashine :),
 > (I really hope my next VCR will also run mplayer :))
 >
 > Pl for rewritting ./configure (uh don't even imagine autoconf :))
 > Bertrand Baudet & Albeu for their work on network streaming support,
 > Jindrich Makovicka for making v4l capturing usable,
 > ... and so on, ok, i won't quote the whole ./AUTHORS file now :)
 >
 > Also, special thanks to the UHU Linux team for their great support
 > and all the people sending so many donations!
 >
 > so, again: THANK YOU TO ALL DEVELOPERS & CONTRIBUTORS!
 > We wouldn't be here without You!

Yes, thank you to you all for making this fun and rewarding.

And a very big special THANK YOU to you, A'rpi for scratching that
itch two years ago, we would not be here without you!

Diego