[MPlayer-dev-eng] release tomorrow, ok?

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Tue Nov 12 04:31:15 CET 2002

Hi Arpi,

on Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:58:43 +0100 you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > PS: If somebody is interessed in testing/looking at the new config stuff
> > and/or the
> > osd menu i'll post a diff.
>
> feel free to commit :)
I think that a part of the osd menu stuff will need a confirmation patch as it
introduce a big (very cosmetical ); change in mplayer.c : moving the comand
reading in a separated function in order to have mplayer also actif in pause mode.
Sorry I couldn't resist, it's just too nice with the menus to have the osd and all the
stuff still working while mplayer is paused.

> the cvs is down anyway, kabi fscked up the libavcodce cvs, and there are
> various 'big changes' patches waiting for commit now.
>
> maybe we should release 0.90 stable in a few days, as 0.90pre10+bugfixes,
> because of if we start commiting all this mess it won't be stable in the
> near future again. actually we could then start some cleanup work, updating
> demuxer layer etc... alex is about commiting dlopen() support for
> libvo/libmpcodecs and so on. also we need to commit big changes to win32
> code to support quicktime dlls.
>
> so, maybe time to do the decision - release 0.90 now (in a week) and make
> cvs as a development/unstable code for a while, or just delay 0.90 a few
> pre-releases more, and release it later, maybe in 2003.
Let be honest. If we release 0.90 many users will be happy (bcs they like
releases), but we'll lose a lot of testers. If we stay in 0.90preXX we have to
keep the cvs as stable as possible, but as we can release more often we
have more chances to test the code on a larger user base.
A good way to mix the 2 could be to release the 0.90 quickly and start to release
some special cvs snapshot (let's say the 0.96.xx serie ;) to regulary test the cvs
with a larger user base. Dunno why but i'm pretty sure that if you just change
MPlayer-CVS-021212.tgz in MPlayer-0.96.01.tgz it will get at least 200% more
hints. Anyway we _have_ to do a 0.96 serie and it can't be a stable one ;)
	Albeu