[MPlayer-dev-eng] Happy Birthday MPlayer!

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Nov 10 23:57:57 CET 2002

Hi,

You probably don't know, but the first "release" (better calling it
snapshot preview of some hacks :)) of MPlayer was exactly 2 years ago,
at 2000 nov 11:

http://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/OLD_stuff/releases/MPlayer-0.01.tar.gz
(worth to check it - several lines of that code is still there in cvs :))

I want to say a big THANK YOU to all you developers now, for your great
work on this project, keep it up in the future too!

Especially to Michael Niedermayer, who made libavcodec the best & fastest
encoding and decoding library all around the world :) and coded the thing
i had in my nightmares: optimized colorspace conversion & scaling code.
Not talking about the others, postprocessing filters, and so on...
If there would be a 'mplayer developer of the year' contest, he would win
it for sure!

Pontscho, for his work on the MPlayer GUI.
(hey, I really hope you won't rm -rf it as you said few days ago... :)
(try to ignore users' and developers' flame, and keep up working on it!)

Gabucino, Diego, Jonas and the others (including the translators!)
for their work on the documentation.  Hey, we started with a 2490 bytes
long README in v0.05 and now we have 2226kB DOCS/ :)
(i wish it will be up-to-date one day :))

Alex, for all his random hackings, and of course the Ultimate MJPEG codec :)
(any news on loader vs. quicktime?)

And of course Eugene Kuznetsov, Florian Schneider and Sascha Sommer, their
work on the ms directshow, realmedia and quicktime DLL codec support turned
MPlayer to the first (and only) linux player able to play EVERYTHING!

The people porting mplayer to everything, even to washing mashine :),
(I really hope my next VCR will also run mplayer :))

Pl for rewritting ./configure (uh don't even imagine autoconf :))
Bertrand Baudet & Albeu for their work on network streaming support,
Jindrich Makovicka for making v4l capturing usable,
... and so on, ok, i won't quote the whole ./AUTHORS file now :)

Also, special thanks to the UHU Linux team for their great support
and all the people sending so many donations!

so, again: THANK YOU TO ALL DEVELOPERS & CONTRIBUTORS!
We wouldn't be here without You!

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team