[MPlayer-dev-eng] Colored subtitles

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Thu Nov 7 17:24:02 CET 2002

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:09:48PM +0100, Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
>

>>>I see what you mean. It then perhaps a better idea to rethink the subtitle
>>>stuff
>>>

>>>from the ground.  Shouldn't we rather try to integrate the subtitles
>>

>>>properly in
>>>libmpdemux and libmpcodecs. That would make sense imho we could then have
>>>a proper color support and subtitle filters for convertion, spu encoding,
>>>spell
>>>checking, etc (add more sub fans dreams here ;)
>>>

>>Implementing OSD as a video filter is a nice idea but there are issues
>>at least with SDL & X11 drivers. vo_SDL needs access to subtitles to
>>display them in the black bands, and X11 accepts only YUV  formats. So
>>

>This is a stupid hack and should be removed, IMHO. -vop expand can do
>the same thing.

I have no objection against removing the osd code from vo and making one
filter instead (or simply using vo_expand permanently) as it simplifies
maintaining OSD code a lot. I actually use vf_expand permanently to add
the black bands for subtitles, using a simple mplayer.c hack (attached).
Adjusting all the OSD callers throughout all vo's was one of the most
boring coding jobs I recently did. The only issue (when we forget SDl &
aalib) of this approach is that we cannot utilize full 24bit RGB quality
with vo_x11 and other vo's with RGB output but that's not a substantial
loss.

--
Jindrich Makovicka