[MPlayer-dev-eng] Colored subtitles

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Thu Nov 7 13:09:48 CET 2002

Alban Bedel wrote:

>With RGB the amount of data is the same, but not with YUV. Dunno what kind of cpu
>you have but it really matter when you have a slow cpu (and i have one ;)

Well, it's about 50% bandwidth increase in the case of YV12 but on the
other hand it solves the problem with subtitles which were getting the
colors of the movie behind them. This annoys me on the current version
more than the disability to choose my favourite subtitle color.

>>This means duplicating of osd.c and sub.c (and probably spudec). One
>>version for color, one for mono.
>>

>I see what you mean. It then perhaps a better idea to rethink the subtitle stuff
>from the ground.  Shouldn't we rather try to integrate the subtitles properly in
>libmpdemux and libmpcodecs. That would make sense imho we could then have
>a proper color support and subtitle filters for convertion, spu encoding, spell
>checking, etc (add more sub fans dreams here ;)

Implementing OSD as a video filter is a nice idea but there are issues
at least with SDL & X11 drivers. vo_SDL needs access to subtitles to
display them in the black bands, and X11 accepts only YUV  formats. So
for (current) vo_X11 we would have to convert the subs to YV12, render
them and pass the result to vo_X11 which converts it to RGB => loss of
the quality and performance.

Furthermore, vo_aa needs its own subtitle support, for obvious reasons.
(I would say that AA is marginal and nobody will eventually miss the
subtitles, but I can be wrong ;)

Regards,

--
Jindrich Makovicka