[MPlayer-dev-eng] [DOCS] encoding.html

Winner of tha face compo gabucino at mplayerhq.hu
Mon Nov 4 09:47:29 CET 2002

Arpi wrote:
> it needs some extending, imho we should add at least 2 big sections.
> myidea about a new TOC:
> - introduction
>   - what is it
Maybe it should go to the _first_ Introduction, together with "mplayer" ?
We can't really write more about mencoder than mplayer, just duplicate
info.

>   - major features
Detto here. Or we should make it short, which is better anyways :)
DOCS is toooo long for users. :)

>   - known limitations (avi out only etc)
Ok

> - compilation
>   - optional libs, etc
Not needed, it should be nuked from current enc.html too. (moving to main
"compilation")

> - codecs
>   - video codecs
Ya, that's nice

>   - audio codecs
Detto.

> - filters
What should be in here? Either we duplicate info from the manpage (which
is absolutely NO-NO), or give short tips (but then why not do this
in "Tutorials").

> - encoding tutorial
Ok (who knows general rules about encoding?:))
We shouldn't try to cover too much area because the DOCS gets too big, and
each movie must be encoded in different ways. And it is too short, users
will come asking us questions.. What is the ideal way?

> - other uses
>   - cutting, appending files (-ss, -end-at etc)
>   - fixing broken avis
>   - extracting VOB subtitles
These sections can be moved to tutorials. Anyway this "fixing broken avis"
method doesn't always work, I had AVIs with no index, and mencoder didn't (!)
generate index into the target file either!

>   - encoding from image sequence (-mf)
This works nicely in mplayer too, so shouldn't be only in this section.

>   - creating vcd/svcd (mencvcd)
Tutorial

>   - TV capturing/recording
This is mplayer too! IMHO it should remain in a separate chapter.

> What do you think?
You rather start writing your speech for nov 9 ;))

> Also, I want to collect people to write these sections.
lol :))

> I myself subscribing for video filters, unless someone else wants it :)
Yes, do it if you want. (you can:)

> Also i can help with multipass encoding / bitrate calculation too.
That should be easy, shouldn't it?

> I need help especially for the tutorial section (tips, recommendations for
> bitrates/sizes etc) and for detailed codec parameters (effect,
> advantages/disadvantages of encoding modes, B frames, various options etc).
I can't, I don't know them either...

--
Gabucino