[MPlayer-dev-eng] [DOCS] encoding.html

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Nov 3 21:40:18 CET 2002

Hi,

> > - introduction
> >   - what is it
> >   - major features
> >   - known limitations (avi out only etc)
> > - compilation
> >   - optional libs, etc
>
> hmm, doesn't this belong at the beginning of the documentation?
> If not, the two sections (mplayer and mencoder) could be
> completely seperated too. Example:
hmm.. you're right as usual.

so, forget these sections... they are already there in the main docs.
btw why the current encoding.html have these then?

> Move everything except hints/etc about mencoder to encoding.html
> and create a similar beginning as in documentation.html (maybe a
> separated history/changelog/faq/more too). I know it already is
> sthg like this, but it will get better if one has a clear
> (mentioned) documentation design....
>
> Some things are still a bit "messy". The FAQs for example,
> I still see some in different places (e.g. libavc-options.txt),
> they should all be in faq.html (IMHO).
>
> > - codecs
> >   - video codecs
> >     - lavc (options, tricks, rcommended parameters, realtime vs hq encoding etc)
> >     - xvid (-//-)
> >     - divx4/divx5 (-//-)
> >     - rawrgb
> >     - copy (limitations, recommended use etc)
> >     - frameno (referenec to 3-pass encoding)
> What about all the mplayer/mencvcd/etc options: jpg/etc,
> -vop lavc/etc, (tvout,) dump*sub, vobsubout, subrip, etc....
> I suppose the topic related should just go to the "encoding
> tutorial" or "other uses" to keep it mencoder only?
hmm. dunno.
i'm really confused now :)

> [...]
> > - encoding tutorial
> >   - recommendations for crop/scaling (16-aligned w/h, aspect ratio etc)
> >   - bitrate calculation, vbr vs. cbr etc
> >   - multi pass encoding
> >   - dvd ripping (-streamcopy vs play_title vs dvdbackuip vs -ovc copy -oac copy)
> Maybe the encoding tutorial should be separated in input
> sections (e.g. dvd, vcd, vob/ifo files, tv, web, mf, (cdd[ab],)
> dvb). dvd ripping is surely a big part...
good idea

> [...]
> >   - extracting VOB subtitles
> >   - encoding from image sequence (-mf)
> >   - creating vcd/svcd (mencvcd)
> >   - TV capturing/recording
> These could go into encoding tutorial (IMHO, see above).
why?

> > What do you think?
> Nice overview/structure! :)))
and bad in all its lines :)

> Those were just some additional ideas to help you. I'm really
> curious as I didn't find any good linux encoding guide so far...

we have to decide if we write doc for mencoder or for everything :)

> Btw: What happend to Diego's wishlist? I'd like to see it...
what happened to Diego? i'd like to see him...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team