[MPlayer-dev-eng] time to remove -pass ?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 2 20:22:15 CET 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 07:10:33PM +0100, Ivan Szanto wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 00:49:56 -0500 D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > > Committed.
> >
> > Also fixed lots of the old bogus stuff in the docs. No wonder people
> > were still trying to use -pass with lavc! The docs were using it all
> > over the place in the examples!
> >
> > Rich
>
> now I am confused. Where should -pass be used and where should it not?
> I've checked the docs from cvs, but in encoding.html it still
> advises me to use -pass with lavc.
>
> Does this all has anything to do with the version of ffmpeg I use?

-pass should never be used with libavcodec, ONLY with divx4/5/xvid,
and now it doesn't even exist anymore anyway. The docs should be
updated to reflect this. Let us know if you still see any outdated
examples in docs.

BTW, the correct way to do 2pass with libavcodec is the vpass
suboption of -lavcopts.

Rich