[MPlayer-dev-eng] life after the 0.90 release...

Anders Johansson ajh at atri.curtin.edu.au
Wed May 29 14:58:37 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > 3. move audio encoders & filters to libmpcodecs [al3x, Anders, me]
> i'm working on libao2 now

How far have you come?

I have been thinking more about how to design the manger for the
plugins:

1. Keep active plugins in a linked list instead of an array. Will make
it easier to enable and disable plugins while they are executing.

2. Write a get capabilities function for the ao drivers (accessible
through control() ) so we can get info about the limitations of the
HW.

3. Dynamic buffer management: increase allocation size when needed,
i.e no buffers are allocated on startup, instead they are reallocated
and resized when needed during execution. This will cause quite a lot
of bugs (and therefore this is only a suggestion) but it will be
possible to do some quite cool stuff like changing playback speed
while playing or adding and subtracting cannels, etc. Actually the
plugins shouldn't even need an init function (would simplify runtime
insert and remove). What do you think about this?

I will be a bit busy during this weekend (getting married :) but will
have time in next week.

//Anders