[MPlayer-dev-eng] codecs.conf versioning

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon May 20 22:05:34 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > the only question is: what numbering sheme to be used?
> > we could use a counter, starting from 1 and increasing every time when
> > a big change is done, or use something like mplayer version number +
> > subversion? like 0.90-3 ? later may look better but hard to parse and hand
> le.
>
> What about a format like YYYYMMDD for the sake of CVS versions?
> That would be easy to parse and could be handled as an int somewhere.

hmm. why not :)
better than 1,2,3 ... and has some relation to releases :)

> I've made a patch (attached below) that will parse that out of codecs.conf,
> but I'm not sure where the best place is to store/check that number.
> In my patch, the line "release YYYYMMDD" is found and the release
> number is only printed to stdout but not stored.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions for where to store the release number as
> taken from codecs.conf, where to store the minimum release number that
> mplayer requires (#define?), and where/when to compare these two.

imho, there should be a #define in codec-cfg.h, containing the minimum
required version. for 'big' changes, codec-cfg is also changed, so imho
it's the best place to define it.

the check for the value should be done when teh codecs.conf is parsed,
so if it's too old, the file should be ignored (same as for syntax errors)
if no new&correct codecs.conf found (nor in home, nor in common global dir)
then it should stop with error.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team