[MPlayer-dev-eng] feature suggestion

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Mon May 20 09:15:29 CEST 2002

On Sunday 19 May 2002 09:51 pm, Jens Reinsberger wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 08:30:23PM -0700, Bertrand Baudet wrote:
> > Which multicast are you talking about?
>
> IP multicast. Meaning to have for instance one mms server who send's
> each datagram only once to an ip multicast address and the network
> delivers it to everbody who wants to listen.

Yes, I know that you meant IP multicast, but since you have several kind of
servers out there(QT, WMS, Real...), I was wondering which one you were
talking about.

> As far as I understood the mms protocol is both multicast and unicast
> capable. I am interested in the multicast version. It's just better for
> general network performance if you have many clients and the stream is
> transmitted only once.

Yes mms protocol is both mutlicast and unicast capable.
For now, there's only mms/http and recently mms/tcp support in mplayer.
When we'll have mms/udp support in, we'll be able to think about adding
this feature. But since the protocol is not open, it still require some
reverse engineering and I'm not aware of any linux player that is currently
able to join a mms multicast group.
Anyway, are you running a network with plenty of mplayer client?

> And when I'm not completely too stupid to read the documentation mplayer
> isn't capable to subscribe to ip multicast groups so it can receive
> multicast streams at all.

But have your read the source?? Not everything is in the documentation...

Check the function rtp_open_socket in the file libmpdemux/network.c.
It allows you to join a dvbstream multicast stream, I mean it was first
done on this purpose but I never had a chance to test it.

Bertrand