[MPlayer-dev-eng] User Frendly mplayer

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon May 13 01:02:55 CEST 2002

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 10:31:01AM -0700, Ivan Kalvatchev wrote:
> 3. Propoce official user irc channel. There is one in
> irc.openprojects.net #mplayer. Irc is the fastest way to ask
> right questions, and help compleate newbie users. A lot of
> people just stay in their favorite program channel and could
> answer questions like 'how to add subtitles?', 'can mplayer do that'.

Already exists, IRCNet #mplayer.

> 3. Make a forum. It is easyer to browse in forum.

Arrg, mailing lists are so much easier, and they let the user decide.
Users can browse them online like a forum, if they like, but those of
us who hate wading through slow tedious web interfaces can subscribe
and read in the comfort of mutt.

> 7. At least one skin should be included in the realese.

No, that's been discussed before. The problems are that many users
don't enable the GUI and don't care for the wasted dl time, and that
it's stupid to have to redownload the same skin that doesn't change
every time you upgrade mplayer.

> 8. It is not bad to include a short video clip to test does mplayer work
> at all.

Again, that's a huge waste of resources downloading the test clip
again and again. MPlayerHQ ftp has plenty of sample clips in different
formats that try for testing.

> 9. A lot of users say that mplayer is slow. By default mplayer uses x11.
> Maybe configure could be used to chose best (xv,sdl) driver.

Last I checked xv was default. And I've never heard anyone say mplayer
was slow -- any other movie player with xv is about the same speed as
mplayer with x11 vo...

> 12. Automated Bugreport. Something like ./mkbugreport test.avi

I think the was discussed before too and there were problems with it.

Rich