[MPlayer-dev-eng] VP3 license change

S. D. mplayer at sudog.com
Thu Mar 28 22:53:14 CET 2002

On Thursday 28 March 2002 08:04, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 09:42:01AM -0500, Daniel B. Miller wrote:
> > We believe it is better today, and the potential is there for it to be
> > significantly better.  For instance, we don't yet have a 2-pass
> > encoder.
> >
> > DivX is closed-source, proprietary software, just
> > like Real or Microsoft.
>
> This is a bit misleading. DivX as in ProjectMayo is proprietary, yes.
> On the other hand, ffmpeg is perfectly free and xvid soon will be, mod
> some bogus patent claims that no one but suits cares about.
>
> Rich

Correction: No one but suits, anyone who runs a business and needs to satisfy
their shareholders, anyone who doesn't want the spectre of a proprietary
standard bogging them down, anyone who doesn't want to break the law in their
own country, and anyone who wants to work with the idea of a philosophically
open and free standard--cares about this announcement.

"bogus patent claims" eh? So go flout them. See where it gets you.

-sudog