[MPlayer-dev-eng] VP3 license change

Daniel B. Miller dan at on2.com
Thu Mar 28 15:42:01 CET 2002

We believe it is better today, and the potential is there for it to be
significantly better.  For instance, we don't yet have a 2-pass
encoder.

DivX is closed-source, proprietary software, just
like Real or Microsoft.  VP3 is now completely open-source, including
patent issues as covered under GPL, so we expect to see some serious
hacking on it to improve it.  We will soon be releasing our own PVR
application (VpVision), which integrates VP3 with Vorbis audio for
real-time recording.  I'll make an announcement here when that project
launches.

BTW we are actively looking for contributing developers.  If interested,
pls contact me (dan at on2.com) - thanks