[MPlayer-dev-eng] VP3 license change

Brian J. Murrell 09fa93ddc6bfc9a4b53b585474f7d41e at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Mar 27 23:38:13 CET 2002

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:33:33PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:

> 	...which means code can be ripped and distributed in a GPL app
> (which MPlayer is supposed to be). This is great news. I may do just that.
> I'm still working on writing that data format description and in the
> process, I've noticed how plausible it would be to rip certain pieces of
> the VP3 codec out of the source and drop them into MPlayer. I avoided
> doing that, though, because of potential licensing conflicts.

Would anyone care to comment on VP3 vs. other formats; perhaps Divx or
MPEG4?  Is it likely that I could get better quality at a given
bitrate with VP3 than any existing codec?

If VP3 is indeed better than divx (which IIRC is what mencoder is
encoding to) I would like to be able to encode to VP3 for my PVR
rather than divx.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell