[MPlayer-dev-eng] Need help to fix bug

Anders Johansson ajh at atri.curtin.edu.au
Sat Mar 23 03:54:48 CET 2002

Hi,

> > There is a bug when using -ao sdl in combination with the resample
> > plugin and doing downsampling (i.e 48000->44100). I have been trying
> > to fix this bug several times without any luck. It seems to me that
> > the data coming from mplayer.c is already corrupt. Could someone who
> > is better with gdb than me please have a look at this problem. I am
> > quite sure the problem is not in the algorithm, cause if I bypass it
> > the problem is still there.
> Could you be more specific to what the bug is (description)?

The data coming to the the libao2 directory is not sound, it is
noise. The bug only appears when the resample plugin is enabled, but
it is the act of enabling the plugin rather than executing it that
causes the noise. I have verified this by bypassing the active parts
of the plugin. The noise is the same every time mplayer is restarted.
The sound data must be overwritten before it is sent to libao2, and I
can't find the correlation between overwriting the audio data and
enabling the resampling plugin. The bug has been reported earlier by
several people and I have spent a lot of time trying to fix it. This
bug also prevents me from having non 2^x long filters which is too bad
cause it would make the sample rate conversion more accurate.

> -- Best Regards, Atmos

//Anders