[MPlayer-dev-eng] ability to control liba52 gain/level and DRC

Christian Lambert clambert at sgi.com
Fri Mar 22 23:08:18 CET 2002

Hi,

This is a feature request to be able to control both the
gain ajustment for ac3 decoding and be able to turn on/off
the dynamic range compression.   I would see those two options
as a command line option and of course they could be defined permanently
in the config file.

The a52 has a "level" ajustment which right now is too low
compared to what it should be.  Xine has this ajustment in the
config file.  We don't want to set this value too high either because
it will result in clipping but the default right now is really too low.
Even with the sound turned all the way up, I have to turn the volume
real high on the receiver.

The dynamic range compression is hardcoded to 0 right now (off), but
it might be a nice feature to be able to turn it on when listening to
a movie late at night for example to bring most of the sound to the same
level.   I prefer to leave 0 the default but just be able to turn on
the option.

Of course, also since we are dealing with liba52, the option of
enabling stereo or surround downmix for 2 channel speaker would be
nice as well, but I think even with headphones that surround is fine.

Any comments?

Thanks!!!