[MPlayer-dev-eng] MP3 demuxing is too slow

Daniel Egger degger at fhm.edu
Thu Mar 21 22:50:22 CET 2002

Am Don, 2002-03-21 um 20.39 schrieb Arpi:

> **ARGH**

> I've already explained when you first complained to demuxer...

> your profiling is simply bad.

It's not.

> it counts the code running at detection pass too.

Seems you have no idea how gprof works.

> if you at least thinking, you'll see that demux_mpg_fill_buffer is NOT part
> of mp3 playback, it's used by mpeg _video_ file demuxer.

Right. Guess what: it's really using the video multiplexer, moving the
MPEG block in demuxer.c code below the audio block fixes that and also
decreases the time spent for demuxing.

> it's only called when trying to open the file as mpeg video...

Well, that's what it does.

> please stop saying that the demuxer is slow. it is not slow.

It takes more time to demux an mp3 file than to decode and play it, in
my mileage this is damn slow.

--
Servus,
       Daniel