[MPlayer-dev-eng] proposed new codecs.conf [Re: new video codec selection code]

Daniel Egger degger at fhm.edu
Wed Mar 20 20:45:57 CET 2002

Am Mit, 2002-03-20 um 17.02 schrieb D Richard Felker III:

> That'd be a great solution, if my damn drive didn't reset the speed at
> every media change event.

Where's the problem? Of course the speed is just changed temporarily
when playing and changed back at exit. If you change the media then
it'll be slowed down when hitting play.

> As it is, I just use a large cache with
> mplayer -- spindown still occurs but the caching process spins the dvd
> back up before the cache is emptied by the player.

Lucky you, maybe your drive accelerates faster then mine but that
doesn't work here and results in dropouts.

> But with other
> programs, I have to use this crazy program/script I wrote, which
> watches for processes with files on /cdrom open, and as long as
> they're found, randomly seeks all over the disc to prevent spindown.
> It's really really ugly but at least it makes it possible to play mp3s
> from cdrom with programs other than mplayer... :(

I wouldn't want my notebook to go nuts with the DVD-Rom while I'm
travelling.... :/

> Anyone know in what ways more recent kernels improve on the horrible
> spindown situation with modern drives? There's gotta be a better way
> than this...

Tried adjusting the parameters in /proc/ide/hdc/settings?

--
Servus,
       Daniel