[MPlayer-dev-eng] configure issue

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Mar 20 20:51:26 CET 2002

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 08:16:19PM +0100, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> > What about the -rpath option to ld? If we add "-rpath /usr/local/lib" in the
> > link stage the executable will search in /usr/local/lib even if /usr/local/lib
> > isn't in /etc/ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH. If we do this the ldd test won't
> > be necessary.
>
> This isn't the question. The question is about running mplayer.
> If the libs which are linked with mplayer arent placed into the path (ld.so.conf)
> or into LD_LIBRARY_PAT, than mplayer will fail execution.

IMHO it's not the responsibility of apps to work around a broken os
install. If /usr/local/lib is missing from ld.so.conf, this needs to
be fixed, not worked around. If you're installing your libs in a
strange location you should either add that to ld.so.conf or use
LD_LIBRARY_PATH yourself, but its better not to do such a thing in the
first place.

Rich