[MPlayer-dev-eng] proposed new codecs.conf [Re: new video codec selection code]

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Mar 20 17:02:39 CET 2002

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:30:01PM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:
> > 	I had the same problem, after a Kernel upgrade the DVD stop spinning
> > down everytime :)
>
> I suspect that spinning down the DVD rom to run at 1x speed only for
> playback might solve the problem because it cannot precache enough
> data anymore to spin down.

That'd be a great solution, if my damn drive didn't reset the speed at
every media change event. As it is, I just use a large cache with
mplayer -- spindown still occurs but the caching process spins the dvd
back up before the cache is emptied by the player. But with other
programs, I have to use this crazy program/script I wrote, which
watches for processes with files on /cdrom open, and as long as
they're found, randomly seeks all over the disc to prevent spindown.
It's really really ugly but at least it makes it possible to play mp3s
from cdrom with programs other than mplayer... :(

Anyone know in what ways more recent kernels improve on the horrible
spindown situation with modern drives? There's gotta be a better way
than this...

Rich