[MPlayer-dev-eng] DXR3 and aspect ratio

David Holm david at realityrift.com
Tue Mar 19 22:10:52 CET 2002

Marcel Hild wrote:

>hi,
> i am using a dxr3 card. if i playback a non mpeg file i get a
> good amount of jitter in the picture (even if i press the
> pause key), but if i specify an monitoraspect ratio the jitter is
> gone. Lets say my divx file is at 704x304, then i give mplayer
> a -monitoraspect 704:304 ...
>
> thought that might be of any interest. david, couldnt you make
> that automatic by some magic somehow?

In the old days (mplayer 0.60 and a few weeks after) this was the
default and non-changable setting of the device.
Alot of users complained that it was too slow, so after some discussions
on the mailinglist I put in the software scaler which tries to find a
nice resolution close to the mpeg1 standard resolution.
I tried getting a -scalefactor switch into mplayer which would take a
x/100 float value, but Arpi didn't think it was a good idea, so the only
option I had left was to downscale automatically.
I wish there was a way to tell the scaler not to zoom, but afaik there
isn't.
Arpi or anyone else, a -nozoom switch would be nice ;)

> btw: the dxr3 is the perfect drug for those who want to view
> with mplayer on a tv, thanks and props to mr holmes !!!

Thanks =)

//David Holm