[MPlayer-dev-eng] Very strange fame behaviour...

David Holm david at realityrift.com
Tue Mar 19 20:55:53 CET 2002

Hi,
I've been going back and forth with fame trying to make it work nicely
with the em8300 (dxr3/h+). I've almost made it work perfectly but I have
now stumbled upon a wall...
After about 7 minutes of playback (happens with every video at the exact
same time of playback (not matter if you seek or pause etc, it happens
after 7 minutes of active playback) the pixels get blown up. It looks
like the screen is set to a lower resolution, but the seek-bar and time
counter is still displayed properly (well, almost).
The pixels look like when tv networks scramble a face etc and this makes
video totally unwatchable with fame. This definately does not happen
with libavcodec and I haven't got a clue to why it happens, and after 7
minutes.
It never goes back to the normal state either, once it's transformed you
have to kill mplayer and restart.

Have anyone got any clues to why this happens, or do I have to subscribe
to some fame mailinglist?

BTW, these are the settings I'm using:
        fame_params.width = s_width;
        fame_params.height = s_height;
        fame_params.coding = "IPPPPPPP";
        fame_params.quality = 90;
        fame_params.bitrate = 6e6;
        fame_params.slices_per_frame = 1;
        fame_params.frames_per_sequence = 8;
        fame_params.shape_quality = 100;
        fame_params.search_range = 1;
        fame_params.verbose = 0;
        fame_params.profile = NULL;

Ah, and yes, if I change the coding to I-frames only it works perfectly...

//David Holm