[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sources "without License"

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Tue Mar 19 18:09:01 CET 2002

Hi,

I really didn't read all the license discussion, so ignore me if
anybody else made it clear already:

If your code is not under some specific license, then NOBODY may
use it _without your permission_. Not even copy it. Only you as the
author has the copyright, no matter if you put it on a website or
lock it at home in a drawer. Just like images on a website may not
simply be copied, even if there is not license attached to it
that forbids that.

By putting your code under some special license, like GPL, you
allow others to use and modify your code under some restrictions.

If there is no special license, then you DON'T allow other to
use your code (and nothing is needed for modification, because
that's using already).

If you wan't to state that anybody can do anything with the source,
you have to give a license which claims that: "Everybody can do anything
he likes with this code".

Of course, if you send your code to be included in MPlayer, then you
obviously allow it to be distributed with MPlayer. But not more and
it may not be taken out of MPlayer and used elsewhere unless you give
permission again.

gruel

--
Christoph H. Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Raum 15 Tel. (0228) 73-4708 | nell erstellt und bedarf