[MPlayer-dev-eng] english documentation maintaining

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Mar 19 00:00:22 CET 2002

Hi,

Gabucino's interest over mplayer documentation decreased a lot, too lot, in
last months. No wonder, I personally hate documentation writting/maintaining.
Anyway I got it and updated as far as i can a week ago. I'ev fixed many
things, but i'm sure there are still a lot. And I didn't touched all file,
nor manpages, just documentation.html, bugreports.html and video.html, and
checked only by technical side, not grammar.

Anyway he still refuses to make trivial changes, about new -lavcopts or
the audio-only playback.... RTCW 'testing' is much more important?
But it doesn't matter, he really did nice work on docs in the past.

Anyway we're getting closer to the next release. My latest changes on
init/uninit and codec selection seems to work fine (if you disagree - read
bugreports.html) and solved most of strange bugs, so we have a step forward
a bit.

But back to the docs. It must be up-to-date, otherwise we should stop
RTFMing users :)
Gabu also refused to apply Diego's text-only patches, dunno why :(
(he said it was procmail... he-he. he should ask Nick how to make /dev/null
to be a folder;))

So, I'm searching for doc co-maintainer (or maybe new maintainer - it
depends on Gabucino if he wants to continue maintaining docs or he chooses
RTCW testing forever)

Primary goals:
- make and keep it up-to-date with mplayer options, features etc
- extend it (especially FAQ) depending on -users mailings
- review and keep up-to-date the AUTHORS section
- fix HTML syntax bugs (unclosed <B> etc)
- receive, verify and apply doc updates/patches from people
- document the new input system (i think only Albeu can do that?)

Long-term:
- remove tables, they make source unreadable, and i doubt they are really
  required in the FAQ for example.
- convert it to some better format, docbook or xhtml?
  it depends on maintainer - if he refuses docbook then it won't work...
- reorganize it, remove redundant stuff, make it more searchable etc.

Do NOT flame. I want to see patches and CVS commits. No discussions about
pro/contra over doc file formats etc. Who will maintaining docs? - he will
decide the format. Easy.

Sorry for being rude, but the flame/discussions about docs were already
too long, with no results. And the docs are still outdated and sometimes
badly organized, not talking about html bugs sometimes appearing even in
netscape.

So, any volunteers?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team