[MPlayer-dev-eng] proposed new codecs.conf [Re: new video codec selection code]

Daniel Egger degger at fhm.edu
Mon Mar 18 19:44:30 CET 2002

Am Mon, 2002-03-18 um 18.07 schrieb D Richard Felker III:

> libmpeg2 is a TON faster for mpeg1 and 2.

Not for me. I optimised the shit out of ffmpeg on PowerPCs with AltiVec
so finally the ac3 decoder is the hugest cpu consumer when watching CDs.
Theoretically the builtin Rage Mobility chip could do iDCT in hardware
but I never managed to get that running.

> Also, ffmpeg seems to have
> problems continuing after dropped frames with mpeg1/2 (the video just
> freezes until the next keyframe when i use -framedrop), whereas
> libmpeg2 seems to do fine with a few dropped frames. This seems odd to
> me since -framedrop is only supposed to skip vo, not decoding
> (right?), but that's what seems to happen...

I'm seeing this problem with both codecs. For example when viewing DVDs
and the drive just decided to spin down there's a vast jump in time
but I expect that to be a buffering problem not one of the codec. I can
well imagine that libmpeg2s read strategy prevents that.

--
Servus,
       Daniel