[MPlayer-dev-eng] sorenson codec

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Mar 18 16:53:08 CET 2002

Hi,

> As you may read in this URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24451.ht
> ml
> - Sorenson has licensed their codec to macromedia so you can use their codec
>
> to embed movies into Flash MX (or flash 6 - or whatever they'll call it)...
>
> The Linux version of the flash MX will be available later this year (as
> usual). Right now you can download the Win32 version of plugin (and player).
>
> My question - could this codec be ripped off so we will be able to play
> sorenson coded video? I hardly belive sorenson has modified their codec
> drastically from Quicktime version..

I don't think it's easier to rip of from flash than from quicktime for
windows. We've already spent some time on the later, we can load teh
quicktime.qts dll (it contains the base codecs, including sorenson 1,2,3 and
many others) but have to develop some interface which emulates the qt
player. It would be even legal, compared to some ripped/hacked out stuff
which sounds like the msmpeg4 vs divx story.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team