[MPlayer-dev-eng] MplayerXP vs Mplayer. Hall of truth.

Dariusz Pietrzak dariush at ajax.umcs.lublin.pl
Mon Mar 18 11:47:42 CET 2002

> mailbox, mostly worthless flames about "mplayerxp". Nick, go ahead
> really care what you do as long as you stop flooding my mailbox with
> crap. I expect most of the rest of the people on the list feel the
Actually I find this discussion quite valuable, there are some quite
interesting questions asked AND answered ( some of those answers i'm still
waiting for.. ;)

and about threads - I was always under impression that those are windoze
stuff, due to very hevyweight processess there.
 And under normall circumstances processes with shm are much better.
And on multi-cpu systems threads could be disastrous - they create cache
coherency problems ( sine in thread ALL of data is shared, all of it must
be synced between CPUs, so it wastes gobs of memory bandwith ), with procs
you explicitly mark data that should be shared and thus synced.

 But this is irrelevant since most of us don't use multicpu systems for
watching videos, and my system wouldn't gain speed from nicks idea, so for
me this is academic discussion, quite interesting one though.

oh, just a note - Nick says that he was able to do some background
compiles while playing movies, so can I, so this says nothing about speed
improvements.

 --
Dariusz Pietrzak
Yes, I am over 18, although my IQ isn't