[MPlayer-dev-eng] proposed new codecs.conf [Re: new video codec selection code]

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Mar 18 11:43:11 CET 2002

Hi,

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 10:43:50PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 03:03:49AM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> > > with this flow, we can reorder video codecs in codecs.conf, put native
> > > codecs, libavcodec, divx4linux first, and the win32 stuff as fallback.
> >
> > if no one objects, i'll go ahead and do that. anyone?
>
> i'm attaching a proposed new codecs.conf i just worked out. i put
> libmpeg2 first (of course), followed by the native codecs (ijpg should
> probably be before ffmjpeg, but ijpg seems to be broken right now...is
ijpg should work, but it cannot decode mjpeg, just jpeg images.
in long term we should fix ffmpeg's mjpeg decoder, it's quite buggy :(

> it?), then ffmpeg, then projectmayo, raw, xanim (its indeo, etc work
> better than the win32 ones, right?), and finally win32. since all this
xanim codecs are good, but they have some problem, if i try to play 2 indeo
files it will sig11 in the second. soemhow teh codec (un)initialization
broken or dunno, but it works only wiht single files.

what about opensource native codecs? cvid, msvideo1 etc ?
they are even better than xanim ones

also mjpeg and h263 codecs is nice topic...
there are a lot of them (both win32 and native), but none of them are perfect :(

> reordering is quite a big change diff-wise, i'd rather not commit it
> myself without at least posting it here first, so here the new
> codecs.conf is for everyone to review...
do not commit yet
we should discuss this deeper before

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team