[MPlayer-dev-eng] MplayerXP vs Mplayer. Hall of truth.

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sun Mar 17 20:01:49 CET 2002

Hello, Daniel!

On 17 Mar 2002 19:52:27 +0100 you wrote:

> Am Son, 2002-03-17 um 19.10 schrieb Nick Kurshev:
>
> > Please dload mplayerxp and read README.
>
> I don't have time for games. Either its a valuable document so you
> can post a relevant excerpt here or it is not and that'd be wasting
> my time anyway.
O'k read that:

Please look at diagram of cpu decoding:

^ CPU loading           /\
|                      |  |
|----------------------|--|------------------------- 100%
|             /\       |  |
|            |  |      |  | /---------This frame was dropped
|  /\        |  |      |  || /\
| |  | Pause |  |Pause |  |||  |Pause
----------------------------------------------------->

Indeed, the place where the diagram shows more of 100% cpu usage
doesn't exists, and mplayer drops next frame. (We really can't
get more than 100% ;)
But there are places with 0% of cpu usage - they are pauses
between frame decoding. Main goal of this technology is fill
them by frame decoding to have predecoded frames before PTS
(presentation time-stamp).
Indeed, the digits 30% and 150% are disputable but I had them.
And it's doesn't matter what causes them: decoding of B-frames
or delays during media reading - they really existed.

Conslusion: I've tested movie playback with simultaneous working
of gcc - mplayerxp doesn't drop frames and keeps realtime playback
even on Cel1-266 but mplayer drops every 3rd frame.

> So far your only argument for threads is that it's faster however you
> don't even explain how you measured that. If you don't care to explain
> I don't care to support you.
It hardly to mesure - only by number of dropped frame (mplayerxp drops less frames
against of mplayer on slow machines).