[MPlayer-dev-eng] MplayerXP vs Mplayer. Hall of truth.

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Mar 17 20:04:34 CET 2002

Hi,

> > such slow systems (like p1 or old celerons) usually has no xv-capable card
>                                               ^^^^^^^
> > but dga or vidix or xmga (1 buffers) could work there fine
> Middle size divx4 can be fitted into 2MB of video upto 7 times.

please rtfm dr-methods.txt

you still don't understand...
if you have a single (1) buffer, you don't have to update the whole buffer
at each frames, just the chanegd macroblocks.
at average (<=1000kbit) divx only ~30% of MBs chanegs between 2 frames.
so it means 300% speedup of video blitting
and it really matters on slow pci bus / video ram old systems have

if you have more than 1 buffers (even if they are in video ram) you have to
refresh all MBs so you lose this advantage of DRm2, and only get one less
memcpy (maybe) nothing more.

of course having 1 buffers decreases quality but on p1 mmx who cares...

and on faster systems it has no sense nor your stuff

so if we see the things:

                 1       2         3             4
            |--------|--------|---------|-----------------------------|
cpu speed:  slow  ~200mhz   ~400mhz   ~800mhz                       fast
avg bench:   >100%     >100%    <100%       <100%
max bench:   >100      >100     >100        <100
method:     framedrop| dr m2  |dec.ahead| old single-process mplayer
playback:   jerky      smooth   smoother  smoother

your threading mess is only usefull at range '3', to make playback smoother
( != make playabck possible - it makes no extra performance - just a bit
better quality)

it won't help at 1,2 and 4, only at 3

> > > Every commercial product communicates with GPL'ed kernel.
> > > So it seems just as stupid limitation.
> > there are no shared objects nor LGPL
> >
> > ans we'll remove this stupid license as soon as we get rid of things keepe
> ng
> > us away from binary packages. but you'd better RTFMing
> >
> Anyway - I can redistribute your sources under GPL as you said.
> Second - you should make it as soon as possible simply because mplayer has
> many parts which are GPL'ed - GPL is applicable to PROGRAM which doesn't exi
> st.
> (vidix is not a program)
> It something strange.
> Anyway you should call something by PROGRAM to which is applied GPL of parts
> !

heh?

you should actually program instead of thinking about what is program :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team