[MPlayer-dev-eng] MplayerXP vs Mplayer. Hall of truth.

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Mar 17 19:37:47 CET 2002

Hi,

> > DR wiht single buffer really helps on slow systems where video bandwith is
> > the bottleneck, so on p1 and slow celerons. m2dr+dga really achieves dixiv
> > playback on tehse without framedrops!
> > your decoding ahead won't work wiht single buffer so you lose the biggest
> > advantage of direct rendering - updating avg 30% of framebuffer instead of
> > memcpy the whole
> It works with temporary buffers in RAM (-vo xv)

no xv
such slow systems (like p1 or old celerons) usually has no xv-capable cards
but dga or vidix or xmga (1 buffers) could work there fine
it was tested with dga, and it worked well on p1 - search archive, it was
done a year ago (!) by Acki (similar DR hacks like yours - but never comited)
again: on p1 mmx with no drops, not on celeron 266 with drops as yours

?

> And such solution can be as generic thing.
threads?

> > > This means that any program which contain GPL'ed code MUST BE whole GPL!
> > mplayer is not a program!
> > it is a collection of various sources, gpl and non-gpl ones
> > this is why distributing it in compiled form is forbidden...
> You have very limited licence. Before I though that it caused by some
> limitation in tempoary stuff like encoder odivx and so on.
> But you forbit to have compiled collection of your sources!!!
> GPL never forbit compile a program.
> Every commercial program can be compiled with GPL'ed shared object.
LGPLed. not GPLed.

> Every commercial product communicates with GPL'ed kernel.
> So it seems just as stupid limitation.
there are no shared objects nor LGPL

ans we'll remove this stupid license as soon as we get rid of things keepeng
us away from binary packages. but you'd better RTFMing

> > the good old trick used by ml3labe and some other projects to solve fuckin
> '
> > gpl restrictions
> >
> The licence doesn't affect products.
> You can use GPL'ed gcc to compile commercial program.
> The same as you can links with GPL objects if your program doesn't required.
> its source.
> What about header - they don't violate licence (at least I can rewrite them
> from scratch).
> > YOU will break gpl by allowing users to distribute it in compiled form :)
> Licence of which part of COLLECTION forbits do that?

dunno. many, including all code by me.
i'll switch to gpl my code as soon as we get rid of other problems

> > > FYI: It's viral nature of GPL.
> > > (Note: mplayer contains GPL'ed code - my code at least (vidix,fastmemcpy
> )!!!
> > yes
> >
> I guessed that mplayer is program but it seems that it was my mistake.
yes

> It's even not a program, wow!
yes

> Then what is it and why it does work after translating of this collection by
>  gcc?
even dd if=/dev/urandom of=mplayer  works sometimes... rare but possible!

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team