[MPlayer-dev-eng] MplayerXP vs Mplayer. Hall of truth.

Daniel Egger degger at fhm.edu
Sun Mar 17 14:55:42 CET 2002

Am Son, 2002-03-17 um 09.51 schrieb Nick Kurshev:

> Even more - if Arpi will agree to apply my core and continue
> development of mplayer in multithreaded way - I'm ready to froze
> mlpayerxp and spend all my energy to make mplayer as player no.1
> in the world.

Please go on and elaborate why you think that multithreading will help.
Considering that it might be clever to have a few decoded video and
audio frames in spare there shouldn't be much advantage to be had
to parallelise the jobs. I suspect that using mmap and madvise
instead of open and read on inputfiles would lead to bigger improvements
than minimizing outtimes I still fail to see.

That having said it might be interesting to have threads to get mplayer
demuxing several streams at once and mixing them together somehow, yet
I fail to see what this might be useful for. :)

Using pthreads still involves some debugging and profiling problems
which are hardly solveable and thus should lead to such a step being
well thought before doing it.

--
Servus,
       Daniel