[MPlayer-dev-eng] Documentation Notes

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Sun Mar 17 08:07:05 CET 2002

Hi team,
	Gabucino, a few notes about the current documentation. Under
section "2.1.2. Audio Formats":

Currently MPlayer is still a Movie and not a Media player, thus the
pure audio formats (for example MP3, WAV, audio ASF) are unplayable.

This is 100% false now and needs correction before the next official
release. Also, the wording of "2.2.1.3. XAnim codecs" really rubs me the
wrong way. Any chance we could soften the wording from:

Foreword: using (some) XAnim codecs with other program than XAnim, is
ILLEGAL. It is YOUR responsibility to read its license, and do
accordingly. The authors of MPlayer can't be held responsible for any
unlawful act of the user.

To something like:

Be advised that the XAnim binary codecs are packaged with a piece of text
claiming to be a legally binding software license which, among other
absurdities, forbids the user to use the codecs in conjunction with any
program other than XAnim. As the XAnim author has yet to bring legal
action against anyone for codec-related issues, the MPlayer developers
don't lose too much sleep over this and you probably shouldn't, either.

	:)

	Thanks...
--
	-Mike Melanson