[MPlayer-dev-eng] Yes, I decided to fork!

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Mar 17 00:00:27 CET 2002

Hi,

> > When I finish restructurizing of source tree - I'll open CVS.
> > (I really don't know how I can remove subdir on sf.net :( ).
>
> 	You can't directly move a subdir in the SF CVS. You put in a work
> order and request that the admins do it for you. I've had experience with
> this, and they will eventually get to it (it may take a few days or
> weeks).

Yes, exactly. SF CVS lacks of many administrating things, including
moving/renaming files, deleting dirs, limiting access rights of developers,
reversing commits etc. It was the main reason for me to move away from SF.

> 	Good luck with your fork. And who knows? In the grand scheme of
> open source development, the main project may roll some of your better
> ideas into the main tree (like gcc & egcs). But did you HAVE to call in

Or even better, maybe the opensource evolution will apply and the 'small
branch' will create a brand new way of video playing and will be the no.1
player in the near future. Don't forget, the same happened to
avifile/mplayer, the first mplayer (avip part) based on some of the avifile
sources stripped down to 'usable' things and extended by me with new demuxer
and a-v sync code. Now who remember what is avifile? :)

> MPlayerXP? I can't imagine that I'm the only person who thinks that refers
> to an MPlayer port to a certain other operating system.
Agree.
Anyway if Nick wants to make something very different (dropping away a-v
code, demuxers, codecs and others etc) then it shouldn't be called MPlayer*
at all. It may have positive marketing value now, but it will change to
negative in the future...

What about XPMP ? would follow the long list of X[MPS]{3} strings :)
(xmms,xmmp,xmps etc)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team