[MPlayer-dev-eng] Nick's MPlayerXP fork...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Mar 16 18:20:05 CET 2002

Hi,

Hmm, Nick decided to fork -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerxp

When first hearing about it, i was laughing... but he is right, really.
Threaded and non-threaded players differs a lot, it's very hard to keep
them co-exists in teh same source. So, I agree with Nick's fork.
Anyway, we should keep the threading-independent code as compatible as
possible, if you agree. COuld you tell us a bit more than at SF page, about
your plans? Do youkeep current sourec and patch it to hell, or rewrite core
and keep only demuxers, codecs and maybe libvo? Will it be VIDIX only?

I'm sure some of developers will move to MPlayerXP branch, especially ones
who prefer threads over monolitic design. Even Zdnek Kabelac (avifile devel/
maintainer) mentioned once, that if mplayer would use threads, he stop
avifile development and move to mplayer :)

Btw, we've imagined Nick's future team at IRC, just for joke:

MPlayerXP's Eleven:

Main developers: Nick Kurshev, Zdenek Kabelac, Hetz Ben Hamo
Windows port: Jean Luc PONS
CVS administrator: David Holm
DOC writters: Daniel Egger, André Dahlqvist
PR manager: Joe Barr
Web designer: Gabucino
Binary packages: Christian Marillat
Redhat compatibility: Bernhard "bero" Rosenkraenzer

don't get it serious :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team